Yet another kale recipe. . .#sorryimnotsorry . . . What?! I threw together some ingredients I had in the fridge- don’t hate.
So I have to say- this was so awesome I am making it a side dish for a family get together I’m hosting tomorrow. This was quick, easy, and NO GUILT! (Well besides the tiny bit of cheese I threw in- but hey- a lil’ cheese never hurt nobody. . .unless your lactose intolerant and that’s a whole other ball game.)
I made this in about 10 minutes, post workout. It was filling, flavor packed and the left overs warmed up great too.
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, chopped up
- 1 cup kale (I just tore it up with my hands)
- 1/2 cup chick peas (drained and rinsed)
- 2 Tbsp of finely chopped almonds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small handful shredded cheese (I used an Italian blend) If you’re being really good- omit the cheese. This still has enough flavor to still be yummy without it.
- habanero seasoning, or some other spicy/hot pepper seasoning
- Tumeric (or seasoning of your choice)
- Olive oil, salt and pepper
Brown cauliflower and chick peas in hot olive oil. Add kale, almonds and garlic, and sautee until kale begins to wilt. Add habanero seasoning and cheese. Toss over heat until the cheese begins to melt. Salt and pepper.
It always amazing me how such a basic combination of items can be transformed by seasoning and spices. A girlfriend of mine and I were talking the other day- why do people think that healthy choices have to be bland and flavorless? I don’t get it!
I have friends who are trying to cut calories, and prepare for fitness competitions and I see what they eat- plain broccoli, plain rice and plain chicken. WHY?!?!? There are tons of options to spruce these meals up! I feel like this is going to be an up and coming blog for those of you who are trying to prep for a show, or who want to eat clean but not boring. Stay tuned!