We all know that we should drink more water, right? We’ve been hearing it . . .well, since forever. But exactly how much should you drink a day?
And, do you need to drink as much water as 300 lb. Paul in the cubicle next to you? Probably not. While it’s important to stay hydrated- our bodies are, after all made up of approximately 60% water- there are a few things to take into account.
How much do you weigh? How active are you? What beverages do you drink on a daily basis? Weight, physical activity and daily intake of beverages should all factor into your daily water intake plan.
It is a general recommendation that we should drink 8, 8 ounce servings of water a day, or about 2 Liters. Here is a guide that will help you determine the exact about for your personal plan:
- Aids in the lubrication of joints and increased circulation
- Increases metabolism and curbs hunger
- keeps skin looking radiant and hydrated
- Staying hydrated helps prevent and reduce pain associated with headaches
- Can aid in the relief of constipation, kidney stones, and acne
- One study even showed that dieters who drank 500 ml of water before meals lost 44% more weight over a period of 12 weeks, compared to those who didn’t (U.S. National Library of Medicine)
Other Fluids can help aid in your daily water intake goal too!
However, try to stay away with sugary beverages such as juices and soda! Teas and coffees are fine! (Try to leave out the sweetner!) There is some debate on whether teas and coffees count for your water intake as they are diuretics. However, most experts say that they DO count and try to brew them yourself and leave out all the additives.
Stay hydrated kittens- and drink up!